Advantage Health Care offers Emergency Contraception (also known as The Morning After Pill) and is not routine birth control.
The Morning After Pill should only be taken in emergencies. It will not protect you from sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
If you are using Emergency Contraception and have had unprotected sex then you have possibly exposed yourself to an STI. We recommend you get tested as soon as possible.
Emergencies include having a condom break or slip off during sex, skipping birth control pills during a monthly cycle, or insinuating rape. Emergency Contraception is used to prevent a pregnancy, not end one. It should also not be confused with the Abortion Pill and will not work if the person is already pregnant.
Emergency contraception has to be taken within 72 hours after intercourse. The only way of knowing whether the Emergency Contraception has worked is when a woman gets her next period, which should come at the expected time or within a week of the expected time. If the period is more than seven days late, you might be pregnant.
Keep in mind that Emergency Contraception is less likely to work if:
- A woman has unprotected sex, or contraceptive failure again in the same menstrual cycle after taking the Emergency Contraceptive
- A woman has already had unprotected sex, or contraceptive failure earlier in her menstrual cycle
- She vomited within two hours of taking the morning after pill
- The Emergency Contraceptive is not taken within the correct time and as directed
- The Emergency Contraception will not work if the woman is already pregnant
How it Works
- Emergency contraception works in several ways depending on where you are in your menstrual cycle.
- If ovaries have not released the egg, it may stop or slow this process
- If an egg has been released, it may stop sperm from fertilizing it
- If the egg has been fertilized, it may stop it from implanting in the uterus
If you have any questions please call us at (630)-595-1515 or Toll Free (888)-795-1515.
Thank you for visiting www.advantagehealthcareltd.com
Call or book your appointment today. You can make your appointment online too.